Excessive keratin on skin can cause keratosis. Keratin is the main component of human hair and nails. This is what affects some types of keratosis to be rough, and bumpy. Keratosis can be enhanced, if not completely removed, in a wide array of treatments available. All you have to do is to consult a dermatologist and be knowledgeable of the type of keratosis you have.
Treatments for Actinic Keratosis
Since actinic keratosis appear like warts, they can be removed by surgery or just drugs to make them fall off.
• Cryosurgery involves the exposure of affected area to temperature extremes, specifically cold, commonly with liquid nitrogen. Once it is frozen and hard, it is easier to remove.
• Electrocautery is just like cryosurgery, in this case, electricity is used to burn off actinic keratosis.
• Among all treatments, laser is confirmed to be the most effective.
• Aldara is used for warts, but it can be also used for actinic keratosis. Aldara is a kind of drug under immune response modifier category.
• 5 Flouracil is also used for cancer treatment. This works by inflaming the actinic keratosis and making it fall off by rubbing it on the affected area as a cream or gel.
Treatments for Keratosis Pilaris
Keratosis Pilaris appears like chicken skin. They are sometimes incorrectly identified as acne. KPs can be hard to manage and remove, and actually there is no real cure for KP.
• The acid form of vitamin A can aid in KP’s improvement. Tretinoin is usually used for acne. Tretinoin makes skin regenerate in a rapid way, thus, extra keratin won’t be produced on the skin. It is less probably that keratin won’t be amassed in hair follicles and clog them.
• Keratinization can be delayed by a retinoid called Adapelene. It also strips off dead skin cells.
Treatments for Seborrheic Keratosis
Seborrheic keratosis resembles actinic keratosis, but in this case, this type of keratosis is greasy. Although it is not a great health hazard, it could damage one’s self esteem. So the treatments for this include:
• Cryotherapy is also used for SK occurrences.
• Curettage is a method that uses a medical apparatus called the curette. Sometimes curettage is combined with cryosurgery for efficiency.
• If you want to be sure of success try laser surgery.
• Another manner of SK treatment is electrocautery, which is also combined with curettage.
Now its time to go to your dermatologist and [ask what type of treatment is suited for you.